Yesterday we brought you an upclose look at the Falcon courtesy of the intrepid spies at 28 Days Later.com. Today, we jump to Ireland for the latest on Star Wars Episode VIII.
Bothan spy Nightangel of the The Force.net lives near Donegal in Ireland. It also happens to be the location shoot for Luke’s exile planet Ahch-To! Thanks to this fortunate coincidence, Nightangel has been busy shadowing the 6-day long shoot.
Here’s what he scored:
Intel #1: The Crash
First off, we have this interesting shot of what has been reported to be a crashed ship:
Making Star Wars actually described this scene, but this is the first time we see visual evidence of it:
- There is smoke.
- A ship appears to have crashed.
- A group of men dressed as black knights with black helmets approach the smoky debris.
- All of the knights then kneel around the smoky location.
- It appears as if one of the knights perished in the crash or someone important is about to step out of it.
Smoke machines have also been confirmed, reinforcing the crash possibility:
- Some have speculated it could be a funeral pyre, given the deference shown by the Knights of Ren
- Others onsite say it’s a crash, given the many tiny flames surrounding the site instead of one big bonfire
Intel #2: A mysterious ship
Next, we have what appears to be a small ship spotted on location:
- A partial section of the Falcon
- A totally new ship, either Luke’s or the Knights of Ren’s ride to the planet
- A mockup of Kylo Ren’s command shuttle ramp, like the prop used in The Force Awakens
Intel #3: The Creature
And finally, Nightangel managed to score this exclusive spy shot. While everybody was focused on the Ceann Sibeal scenes, Disney sneaked in a shooting at Dunmore Head, away from the prying eyes of the public.
Dunmore Head is a separate location from the cliffside set, and is the westernmost point of Ireland:
Is that what we think it is? It appears to be a giant alien body, minus the head!
Given the scale of the crew next to it, the creature looks to be as large as a wampa. Here are some possibilities:
- One: an animal native to Ahch-To, which Luke uses as security
- Two: a hunting creature brought along by the Knights of Ren during their assault
- Three: the rumored furry pet of Luke, which could possibly grow to monstrous proportions when needed
Or maybe it’s a naked Unkar Plutt, who really really wants Rey badly after she ran away and stole the Falcon. We’d pay to see that!
RTE News reports security is tight at possible lookout points along the coast:
NightAngel’s photos were taken in the past two days, while the alien creature was taken just today. Given the extraordinary security precautions by Disney and the local authorities, this makes NightAngel’s spy shots even more amazing. Hats off to you and the members of the Jedi Council!
Local news station RadioKerry reports that the nearly week-long shoot is set to conclude this week, so what we’re seeing are the crucial scenes with the actors themselves, before the Kerry filming wraps up.
Stay tuned while we await more intel from Donegal! Meanwhile, watch Stormtrooper Larry take part in the running man challenge!